Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Simmered apples baked in rice pudding


Simmered apples baked in rice pudding

4 dessert apples

600ml water

100g sugar

For the rice pudding

85g pudding rice

1 litre whole milk

1 cinnamon stick

a few drops vanilla essence

2tbsp caster sugar

30g unsalted butter

150ml single cream

peel apples, leaving them whole. Put them in a pan with the 100g of sugar and the water .Bring to boil and poach for about 10 minutes, turning them from time to time.They will be slightly soft.

Put rice in a pan with about half the milk, cinnamon stick,vanilla essence and the sugar and bring to boil.Turn down and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the remaining milk, butter,cream and stir.

Preheat the oven to 175/ gas mark 4. Place the apples in an oven proof dish and pour the rice pudding all around. Bake for about 30 mins. Add more butter and cream if the pudding becomes a little dry, anice golden crust should form……enjoy

5 comments:

Lynne said...

I forgot to say that this is in Donnas book.....Donna your book is complete, and I will put it in the post to you today :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh yum.... I love baked apples and rice pudding, but never thought about combining them. Off to convert measures. ;)

Donna said...

I love it!!! Thanks so much. I can't wait to see it in person.

Donna said...

I got my book back today. YEY!!!! thank you so much everyone for your wonderful food art in my book, it is so nice to actually see the drawings. I will post a video of the completed book soon, and maybe test out some of the recipes.

ps. Lynne thanks for the bonus postcard. :-)

Lynne said...

hooray! I am glad it arrived safely, its so nice to have them home again isn't it :-)